Are you a production company based in the Nations and Regions producing factual, factual entertainment, specialist factual or entertainment programmes? Are you looking to win big, high value commissions? Are you looking to develop ideas of scale for the next big returning series?
Applications for SuperSizer 2018 are now closed. If you have any questions regarding the programme please contact Emma Flynn.
Sign up to our TV mailing list and we’ll let you know when SuperSizer applications open again.
TRCmedia is looking for 12 ambitious Development Executives working in the Nations and Regions to take part in SuperSizer – a company focused training programme delivered by professional trainers, commissioners and leading development executives.
Running from September 2018 through to March 2019, the programme brings Development Executives together for monthly one-day training sessions. SuperSizer will address three key areas:
- The Role of the Development Executive: Understanding the importance of the role of development and creating specialists in this field.
- The Commissioner: Insider knowledge of how commissioners work, think and act and the importance of understanding differing channel needs.
- Creative Thinking Skills: Think Big! How to create scale and ambition and motivate your team. Creative thinking and ideas generation.
Each month our SuperSizer training sessions will offer intensive workshops focusing on key development areas including: Science of the Schedule, The Perfect Taster ‘Rip & Stitch’, Formats – the Holy Grail?, Pitch Perfect – the Polisher as well as the opportunity to work closely with leading commissioning editors across factual, factual entertainment and specialist factual genres; including Channel 4 and BBC (*more to be announced). We kick-start our SuperSizer Programme on Wednesday, 19 September with an invigorating Setting the Scene session, which will kick start your creativity and help you to get the most from your development team. Contributors to last year’s programme include Channel 4’s Tim Hancock and Lucy Leveugle, BBC’s Fatima Salaria and Channel 5’s Ben Frow.
- Companies will gain a renewed emphasis on the importance of professional development for executives who engage directly with commissioners
- Increased pitching of big ideas of scale and programmes that can return season after season (for example First Dates, Country Vet, Location Location Location) to bring the company’s business to the next level
- Increased industry knowledge, network and profile
Last year’s delegates said
“The course has been really great, with brilliant bookings from TRC – from commissioners to trainers. It’s really helped me take back some new ideas to help me and my team develop our slates.” Jennifer Gilroy, Firecracker Scotland (Glasgow)
“SuperSizer provided exclusive access to commissioners in a relaxed training setting coupled with the opportunity to work alongside and learn from other experienced development executives. We’ve made invaluable new contacts and won a commission as a result of the programme.”
David Kavanagh, Title Role Productions (Manchester)
- As this is a company-focused programme you must have endorsement from production company owner or Managing Director (written statement of support)
- Applicants should have significant experience in television programme development and have been responsible for at least ONE idea that has gone on to be commissioned
- The production company must be based in Nations and Regions
- The Development Executive must be based in Nations and Regions
- Availability to travel to Glasgow or elsewhere* and attend ALL of the monthly training sessions (dates below)
*For Development Executives based out-with Scotland and in the Nations and Regions there may be travel bursaries available. One of the course sessions will be held in London and we will extend the travel bursaries to those travelling from Scotland in this instance. For more information on the course and applying please contact TRCmedia Project Manager Emma Flynn
Wednesday 19 September
Wednesday 24 October
Wednesday 21 November
Wednesday 16 January
Thursday 17 January
Wednesday 20 February
Wednesday 13 March
Dates are subject to change
Our 2017 delegates were:
Emma Parkins, Alleycats
David Devenney, BBC Studios, Pacific Quay Productions
Ruchika Tagore, Daisybeck Studios
Susie Wright, Daisybeck Studios
Jennifer Gilroy, Firecracker Scotland
Anne-Claire Pilley, Firecrest Films
Perjeet Aujla, Full Fat TV
Kate Thomas, BOOM Cymru
Linsay Gordon, Raise the Roof Productions
Rosy Marshall-McCrae, Red Sky Productions
Michael McAvoy, STV Productions
Stephen McGinty, STV Productions
Paula Campion, Tern TV
David Kavanagh, Title Role Productions
SuperSizer is funded by BBC, Channel 4, Scottish Enterprise and Creative Scotland. Course fee: £350.