Women are under-represented at Board level in the digital/tech sector in Scotland. To address this imbalance, we created Special Edition, a professional development programme that seeks to help ambitious, talented women fulfill their potential and reach the very top.
Running over six months, the programme offers a dynamic mix of professional development training and creative expertise to help boost your confidence, improve your entrepreneurial skills, expand professional networks and progress your career in digital. The initiative includes formal workshops led by leading industry trainers and an international field trip to digital centres of excellence. Last year our Special Edition delegates travelled to London and Amsterdam to meet with CEOs, founders, visionaries and strategists at Google, Booking.com, Microsoft, TomTom, UKIE and more.
The overall ambition of this programme is to set our female delegates on a career trajectory that ultimately leads to the boardroom. Previous delegates have gone on to secure significant promotions, including to Board level, and start their own companies.
Applications for Special Edition 2018/19 are open from Monday, June 18 2018. Closing date Monday July 2 at 9am. Shortlisted applicants will be notified by Thursday 5th July. Interviews for shortlisted candidates to be held in Glasgow on Monday July 9 and Tuesday July 10.
What’s on offer?
Special Edition will kick off on Wednesday, 5 September 2018. Most of the full-day training sessions take place at our offices – Clockwise Tower, 77 Renfrew Street, Glasgow, G2 3BZ
- Wednesday, September 5: Inspiration for Growth; Personal and professional goal setting
- Wednesday, October 3: Work/Life Balance & Authentic Leadership
- Wednesday, November 7: Action Learning Sets, Powerful and Creative Problem Solving
- Thursday 6 December/Friday 7 December : Negotiation
- Wednesday, 16 January: Dealing with Difficult Conversations/Pitching with Confidence
- Tuesday 29 January – Friday, 1 February: Field Trip
- Wednesday, 20 February (3-5pm): Mapping The Future: Outcomes and Actions
The 2017/18 delegates were:
Sky | Development Manager
Wireframe Immersive | Managing Director
Dog Digital | Marketing & Comms Manager
Tag Games | Artist
Soluis Group | Lead Creative
Skyscanner | User Satisfaction Team Leader, EMEA
Jukebox Labs | Chief Creative Officer
Special Edition is open to women working in commercial creative businesses in the digital sector in Scotland. For guidance, this includes digital design, agencies, games, animation, mobile apps, publishing, augmented/virtual reality, technology and platforms/software.
Thinking of applying? You should have:
- Significant experience in your field
- Experience of leadership: managing teams, leading on projects or heading up a department.
- The aspiration to reach Director/Board level or run your own business
Acceptance onto Special Edition is highly competitive, with selection made on the basis of talent, need and clearly articulated goals.
Special Edition is funded by BBC, Channel 4, Scottish Enterprise and Creative Scotland. There is a delegate fee of £300.