Women are under-represented at Board level in the digital/tech sector in Scotland. To address this imbalance, we created Special Edition, a professional development programme that seeks to help ambitious, talented women fulfill their potential and reach the very top.
Running from August 2017 to February 2018, the programme offers a dynamic mix of professional development training and creative expertise to help boost your confidence, improve your entrepreneurial skills, expand professional networks and progress your career in digital. The initiative includes formal workshops led by leading industry trainers and an international field trip to digital centres of excellence. Last year our Special Edition delegates travelled to London and Berlin to meet with CEOs, founders, visionaries and strategists at Google, Playmob, Freeformers, AMVBBDO, doteveryone, Soundcloud, CareerFoundry and Edenspiekermann.
The overall ambition of this programme is to set our female delegates on a career trajectory that ultimately leads to the boardroom. Previous delegates have gone on to secure significant promotions, including to Board level, and start their own companies.
What’s on offer?
The Special Edition training sessions and trips dates are:
- Thursday, 24 August 2017: Inspiration for Growth: Personal and professional goal setting
- Thursday, 21 September 2017: Action Learning: Creative thinking and problem solving
- Thursday, 19 October 2017: Pitching with Confidence: Influencing skills & Networking
- Tuesday, 7 November – Friday, 10 November 2017: EUROPEAN DELEGATION (location announced at our Launch Event on 14th June)
- Thursday, 14 December 2017: Leadersmithing: Power and Leadership
- Wednesday, 30 January – Friday, 1 February 2018: LONDON DELEGATION
- Thursday, 15 February 2018: Mapping The Future: Mentoring, Outcomes and Actions
Please note that there may be slight changes to these dates.
Last year six top professionals drawn from Scotland’s thriving digital/creative sector secured a place on our 2016 Special Edition programme. They were:
The Leith Agency | Associate Planner
FreeAgent | Head of Awareness
Paved with Gold | Co-founder
Dog Digital | Senior Analytics & Insights Manager
Whitespace | Head of Digital Marketing
Blonde Digital | Group Account Director
Special Edition is open to women working in commercial creative businesses in the digital sector in Scotland. For guidance, this includes digital design, agencies, games, animation, mobile apps, publishing, augmented/virtual reality, technology and platforms/software.
Thinking of applying? You should have:
- Significant experience in your field
- Experience of leadership: managing teams, leading on projects or heading up a department.
- The aspiration to reach Director/Board level or run your own business
Acceptance onto Special Edition is highly competitive, with selection made on the basis of talent, need and clearly articulated goals.
Special Edition is funded by BBC, Channel 4, Scottish Enterprise and Creative Scotland. There is a delegate fee of £250.